Conception can be a stressful time for couples, but there are plenty of things you can do to increase your chances of conceiving. One thing you can try is yoga; certain poses have been shown to improve fertility. Yoga Asanas open the hips, re-align the pelvis and help to release tension in the lower back – all of which can improve fertility.
While there is no scientific evidence that yoga can boost fertility, many people believe that the practice can improve your chances of conceiving.
What are the leading causes of infertility?
There are many different causes of infertility, but the most common include:
- Ovulation disorders
About 25 percent of infertility cases are caused by ovulation disorders.
- Uterine or cervical abnormalities
About 20 percent of fertility issues are due to uterine or cervical abnormalities.
- Fallopian tube damage or blockage
Damage or blockage of the fallopian tubes is a common cause of fertility problems, accounting for about 30 percent of all cases.
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
PCOS is a hormonal disorder that affects about 15 percent of women of childbearing age. PCOS/PCOD is leading cause of infertility amongst women.
This condition, in which the tissue that normally lines the uterus grows outside of the organ, affects about 40 percent of women with fertility problems.
- Uterine fibroids
These noncancerous growths in the uterus can cause fertility problems in about 20 percent of women.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
PID is an infection of the reproductive organs that can damage the fallopian tubes and ovaries, affecting fertility in about 15 percent of women.
- Poor nutrition
Poor nutrition can lead to fertility problems in both men and women. obesity can also lead to fertility issues.
Smoking cigarettes can reduce fertility in both men and women. In men it reduces the sperm count and in women it negatively affect the hormone production.
- Excess alcohol consumption
Excessive alcohol consumption can reduce fertility in both men and women. Alcohol affect ovulation, which can make it difficult to conceive.
Stress can affect fertility in both men and women. When stressed, the adrenal glands pump stress hormones such as adrenaline into the bloodstream, which reduces the chance of conception.
What is Fertility Yoga?
Fertility Yoga is a sequence of yoga asana that is specifically designed to help improve fertility. The poses and breathing exercises in fertility yoga can help to increase blood flow to the reproductive organs, reduce stress and promote relaxation. These asanas Improve circulation of pelvic and abdominal region.
Fertility yoga incorporates breathing, visualization, positive affirmation and asana (poses). It focuses on reducing stress and promote positive energy.
Can yoga help with the conception?
In a research done by Dr. Alice Domar, a researcher at the Mind/Body Institute of Harvard Medical School it was found that women who practice yoga and mindfulness techniques are three times more likely to get pregnant than those without any form or training in these fields.
Yoga therapies stimulates reproductive organs. It is beneficial for both men and women and improves fertility by improving the overall physiological systems. Yoga modulates the neuroendocrine axis to reduce stress and regulate the neurohormonal profile.
Another US study found that just six weeks of yoga dramatically lowered the anxiety levels for the women who participated and were undergoing IVF.
However, It is important not to make claims that fertility yoga guarantees a couple will fall pregnant.
Rather yoga helps to fosters a nurturing sense of self-care to help soothe the surges in the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline.”
How yoga might boost your fertility?
There are many different ways that yoga might boost fertility.
Yoga Asanas can:
- open the hips
- re-align the pelvis
- release tension in the lower back
- helps to release stress
- increases libido
- balances hormones
- improves metabolism
All of these things can improve fertility. In addition, yoga is a great way to reduce stress, and studies have shown that stress can negatively impact fertility.
If you’re trying to get pregnant, adding yoga to your fertility plan may help increase your chances of conceiving.
Yoga poses that can boost your fertility
1. Kandhrasana (Bridge Pose)
This pose helps to open up the hips and pelvis, which can improve fertility. It also helps to release tension in the lower back and strengthens the reproductive organs.
How to do
- Lie on your back with your with legs straight and arms on the side.
- Now bend your knees and keep the feet flat on the ground.
- Hold your ankles with both the hands.
- Slowly lift your hips and back off the ground.
- Now in this position apply ‘mool bandha’ (root lock) by contracting the lower abdominal region.
- Hold for a few breaths before slowly lowering back down to the ground.
2. Marjari Asana (Cat-Cow Pose)
This pose is a great way to release stress from spine and shoulder. It helps to stretch the lower back and open up the hips.
How to do
- To do this pose, start on the hands and knees in a tabletop position.
- As you inhale, arch your back and look up towards the ceiling.
- Apply mool bandha (root lock). Hold for five counts.
- Then, as you exhale, round your spine and tuck your chin towards your chest.
- Repeat this sequence for 10-15 times.
3. Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclined Bound Angle Pose)
This pose is also known as ‘supta baddha konasana’ and it helps to open up the hips and pelvis. This asana also improve circulation in the pelvic region.
How to do
- Lie down on your back with your legs straight and arms on the side.
- Now, bend your knees and bring the soles of your feet together.
- Allow your knees to fall open on the side.
- Do ujjayi breathing and hold the pose for 1 minute.
- After a minute, straighten your legs and relax.
4. Supta Udrakarshan Asana
This is an excellent fertility-boosting yoga pose as it helps to improve blood circulation and open the pelvic region.
How to do
- Lie down on your back with both legs extended straight out.
- Bend both your knees and keep both the feet firmly on the ground, heel should be touching the hip.
- Keep the knees shoulder width apart. Inhale and while exhaling drop both the knees to the right side.
- Left knee should be touching right toes. Contract left lower abdominal region.
- Turn the head towards the left. keep left shoulder pressed towards the ground.
- Hold the pose for ten counts.
- Inhale and slowly come back to the initial position.
- Repeat both the sides two times.
5. Utthan Asana
Utthan asana or standing from squatting pose is one of the fertility boosting yoga asanas. It helps to open hip and pelvic and improve blood circulation in those region.
How to do
- Stand on the floor with legs shoulder width apart. Now turn right foot towards the right and left foot towards the left at 45 degree angle.
- Clasp your fingers in front of your body.
- Inhale deeply and while exhaling start squatting down.
- Knees will bend sideways, parallel to the toes.
- Go down as much as you can. But do not bend forward.
- Keep the spine straight.
- Stay there for ten counts and slowly come up to the initial position while inhaling.
- Repeat 2-3 times.
6. Bhujang Asana (Cobra Pose)
Bhujang asana is a great fertility-boosting yoga pose it presses and stimulates the reproductive organs, strengthen lower back and opens heart.
How to do
- Lie down on the stomach with your feet together and toes pointing downwards.
- Keep your palms beside your chest with elbows close to the body.
- Inhale and lift your head, chest and upper back off of the ground.
- Do not strain your neck, keep it in line with the rest of the spine.
- Hold this pose for 10 seconds before coming back to the starting position.
- Repeat two times.
7. Trikon Asana (Triangle Pose)
Trikon asana or the triangle pose stretches thigh and hip muscles. It helps to improve blood circulation and flexibility in the pelvic region.
How to do
- Stand on the floor with your feet about three feet apart.
- Turn your right foot out 90 degrees and your left foot pointed forward.
- Extend your arms out to the sides, parallel to the ground and relax your shoulders down away from your ears.
- As you inhale, lengthen the spine and as you exhale, bend sideways from the hip joints over your right leg.
- Do not bend the knees. Press your knees inward and hold your right ankle.
- Stretch your left arm upwards, keeping both the arms in a single line.
- Look up. Hold for ten seconds then slowly come back to the initial position.
8. Balasana (Child's Pose)
Balasana or child’s pose is a relaxing pose. This asana relaxes the mind and body and helps reduce stress and fatigue.
How to do
- Come on your knees. Join your big toes together.
- Inhale and slowly sit back on your heels.
- As you exhale, lower your body and rest your forehead on the ground.
- Stretch your arms out in front of you.
- Hold this pose for 30 seconds to one minute.
- Breathe normally.
- To release the pose, inhale and lift your head first, then torso, and finally come back to the vajrasana position.
Though the research on yoga and fertility is still preliminary, there are many potential benefits to be gained from incorporating yoga into your fertility journey. If you’re considering trying yoga to boost your fertility, try these asanas. And most importantly, relax and have fun with it – any form of exercise that brings you joy can only help improve your overall well-being.